MESA COUNTY, Colo. (KKCO/KJCT)-- Health officials said a Mesa County man got sick after drinking water in the Dominquez Canyon, even after it had been run through a personal filtration system.
The man came down with Giardiasis, which is caused by the Giardia parasite. It can come from drinking water from sources where the Parasite may live like lakes, streams, irrigation water or wells.
It can also be picked from surfaces like bathroom handles or toys containing feces from an infected person or animal, according to health officials. Even simply swallowing water while swimming in lakes, river, ponds or streams.
Symptoms include diarrhea, stomach or abdominal cramps, nausea and dehydration.
If a lake is designated for boating only and no swimming is allowed, it could be infected with parasites or bacteria. Make sure to follow water guidelines.