GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO/KJCT) Grand Junction fire crews are working to educate the public on what they can do help prevent fires.
A simple flick of a cigarette butt is all it takes to start a fire.
The cautions come after a fire left eight homeless in Grand Junction on June 12.
Firefighters said many dangers are on the interstate.
"You'll see trailers pulling boats, pulling campers, the safety chain gets loose and it falls off or it's too long. Going down the highway the metal hits the pavement are sparks are created," said Grand Junction Fire Department Captain, Matt Carson.
The Grand Junction Fire Department said it responded to seven calls for active fires in just the past four days.
"Once that fire gets started, there's a lot of fuel and that fire spreads fast," Carson said.
"We're real careful to not leave the grill open and running in the heat, there's a lot of wind which could potentially cause a spark," said Nancy Bemis, of Grand Junction resident.
In your home, fire officials said people should close the door when sleeping.
"That door will protect you from the products of combustion, smoke, toxic gasses, and fire," said Carson.
Bemis had a person experience with fire.
"It was a candle that was in a floral ring with artificial flowers and as the candle burned down, the ring caught fire, wasn't even aware of it until the smoke alarm went off," she said.
The owner of Grand Valley Childcare makes sure all the kids know what do if a fire happens.
"Monthly we do fire drills, they're taught to exit the children quickly. Our goal for each classroom is one minute," said Roberta Nicolosi.
The Grand Junction Fire Department said the best thing to do is to make sure you have working smoke detectors in your home.