(NBC) If you think all sunscreens are created equal, think again.
Consumer Reports has released its annual list of top sunscreens as well as a warning about the SPF number on some bottles: If you put too much faith in them, you could be putting your skin at risk.
For the fifth year in a row, Consumer Reports found some sunscreens during testing failed to provide the level of protection promised on the package. In fact, of the more than 60 products tested, 23 were found to have less than half of the labeled SPF number.
Below are 14 recommended sunscreens that received excellent overall ratings:
1. LA ROCHE-POSAY - Anthelios 60 Melt-In Sunscreen Milk, $36
2. EQUATE - Sport Lotion SPF 50, $5
3. PURE - Sun Defense Disney Frozen Lotion, SPF 50, $6
4. COPPERTONE - WaterBabies Lotion, SPF 50, $12
5. EQUATE - Ultra Protection Lotion, SPF 50, $8
6. OCEAN POTION - Protect and Nourish, SPF 30, $8
7. AVEENO - Protect and Hydrate lotion, SPF 30, $8
8. UP and UP - Sheer Dry-Touch Lotion, SPF 30, $5
9. COPPERTONE - Clearly Sheer Lotion, SPF 50, $7
10. NEUTROGENA - CoolDry Sport Lotion, SPF 30, $9.50
11. NEUTROGENA - Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Lotion, SPF 45, $9.50
12. HAWAIIAN TROPIC - Sheer Touch Ultra Radiance Lotion, SPF 50, $10.50
13. WELL AT WALGREENS - Baby Lotion, SPF 50, $3
14. COPPERTONE - Sport High Performance Lotion, SPF 50, $12