Country Star Makes Little Girl's Wish Come True

By: Tim Ciesco Email
By: Tim Ciesco Email

MACK, Colo. (KKCO) - Country superstar Rodney Atkins not only made an impression on the crowds at Major Mortgage Country Jam 2011, but one brave, little girl as well.

8-year-old Delaney Clements has been battling cancer since last fall.

Rodney Atkins is her favorite country singer -- and when he heard about her, he personally invited her and her family to meet him.

Delaney couldn't stop smiling as she talked about it.

"It was awesome," said Delaney. "Taking a picture with him [was the best part.]"

Atkins also invited Delaney and her family to sit on stage during his set and brought her out during his performance of his hit single "Farmer's Daughter."

• by Caribbean Location: Grand Junction on Jun 29, 2011 at 02:53 PM
    Last time I checked, this isnt about Delaneys mother OR father...this is about a very sick little girl that needs as much emotional support as possible. Circumstance and life prevails when we least expect it, as does trying to make a split home consistent for a sick child. No one has any right to judge either parents. How about sending up prayers and well wishes for Delaney instead of focusing on your own opinions, unless of course, you are THE PERFECT parent.
  • by PAT Location: Orchard Mesa on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    I was there.It was awesome.What a wonderful thing he did.He not only can sing great,he showed compassion,and love.Pat
  • by Anonymous on Jun 28, 2011 at 09:18 PM
    Her Dad has every right to come to every one of the well broadcast events for HIS daughter. I have friends close to Denver that say they have seen her on the news. If he doesn't contribute with love... why should he reap the benefits of fame. Besides, isn't all of this, FOR HER?? My heart goes out to any family who has to not only deal with a difficult time, but difficult people.
  • by Jessica Location: Grand Junction on Jun 28, 2011 at 08:37 PM
    To Joan: I set up a private meet and greet with my friend whom happens to be married to Rodney Atkins...I did not know to the extent that his wife was going to go to for this event and it was very last minute so I appoligize that 1. I do not have her dad's phone number to invite him and 2. I was at work on this until 345pm when I had to get them there by 430pm for everything to work out.
  • by Joan Location: GJ on Jun 28, 2011 at 08:25 AM
    What a fabulous act of kindness & generosity! The GJ community has really supported this girl! In the news cast it was said " her family" joined Rodney on stage. Why wasn't her Dad there? Did anyone bother to ask him to join?
      by Sara on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:04 AM in reply to Joan
      You are right where was her dad? But not for this I want to know where he has been during her entire sickness. It seems like you expect him to be invited to the "Disneyland" moments only. Her mom has been there through the thick and thin of it all and ALWAYS puts Delaney in front. She has dedicated her entire life to making sure her little girl gets better. And to me has never put herself in the limelight. I read her blog and keep up on facebook and until now didn't realize that she was from a split family. So what if the DAD wasn't there it wasn't about him it was about Delaney and Jessica you shouldn't have to apologize for organizing a wonderful thing. I pray that this little girl gets everything she every wants regardless of who is "present".
  • by sabrena Location: gj on Jun 28, 2011 at 08:09 AM
    this is awsome maybe more people in gj might help delane in her fund raisers
  • by Anonymous on Jun 28, 2011 at 02:01 AM
    How do you find good refinance rates? I like "123 Refinance". They gave me the option of selecting various rates with different problems. I choose the lowest rate of 3.29% BTW Remember to call and verify the loan rate. Search online to find them.

Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 124632084 - nbc11news.com/a?a=124632084