GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) -- Our recent heat wave is just the start of western Colorado's hot summer -- one that's guaranteed to heat up your utility bill, too.
Xcel Energy and RepairClinic.com offer some simple tips for saving energy and keep your bill low through the blistering heat.
FOR AN AC UNIT
- Hiking your thermostat from 72 to 78 degrees could save you $25 a month.
- Cleaning your air filter and coils improves your unit's efficiency.
- Use a programmable thermostat to save as much as 12 percent a month. Set it to 85 while you're out of the house during the day.
- Supplement air conditioning with fans; they increase the efficiency of your air conditioning unit and cost just 30 cents a month to run.
- Use you washer, dryer and dishwasher after 10:30 p.m. and make sure the loads are full.
- Keep your shades pulled and close your doors and windows during the day to help save even more.
- Every few years, inspect and repair caulking and/or weatherstripping around your windows to make sure cool air is staying inside.
- Lower its regular temperature setting.
- Set your water heater to its "vacation" setting if you're leaving for a few days.
- Drain some from it a few times per year.
FOR YOUR WATER HEATER
Xcel officials also say it's a good idea to check on elderly or ill friends and family during periods of high heat to make sure they're OK.
For more tips from Xcel Energy, visit the "Using Electricity at Home" guide online.