In January, Heather and Kirby Simeons lost their 17 month old son, Truett Simeons, and their father, Julian Beamer, to carbon monoxide poisoning. They say a simple detector may have saved their lives.
They're taking their story to local lawmakers to get a new bill signed into law.
Senate bill 187 would require all single and multi–family dwellings sold after July first and any building permit issued after that date to be equipped with the detectors if there is a fuel–burning heater, fireplace or attached garage.
Critics say this is another case of "nanny government" and it should be up to the public to buy these alarms.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.