Mclean, Va. (AP) Snakes on a plane? How about one in your luggage?
That's what happened to a Virginia man bitten by what authorities believe was a young canebrake rattlesnake.
High school rowing coach Andy Bacas reached into his luggage Monday after returning from a team trip to South Carolina when he felt a sharp pain. That's when he saw the nearly foot-long venomous snake and slammed the luggage shut.
Firefighters later killed the snake with a blast from a fire extinguisher. Bacas went to the hospital for treatment.
Local authorities say there's no evidence the snake was deliberately put into the bag.
A snake expert says it's conceivable a snake would crawl into luggage seeking warmth or shelter, but his first instinct is to suspect some sort of prank
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.