Woman Arrested for Murder of Baby Boy

By  | 

On April 29, the Grand Junction Police Department found the dead body of baby boy wrapped up in a Grand Junction home. Tuesday, authorities arrested his mother in Alaska on charges of first degree murder.

Since the baby was discovered last week, police say their investigation turned towards finding the baby's mother, 22-year-old Morgan Hite. Through a series of leads, detectives were able to track her to her home in Wasilla, Alaska.

After spending several days in Alaska and working with multiple law enforcement agencies, investigators say they had enough evidence to obtain an arrest warrant and arrest Hite at her home Tuesday afternoon.

Now that the arrest has been made, police are releasing more details about the case.

They say Hite was recently in Grand Junction visiting her father and step-mother, Chris and Stacy Hite. Authorities say the Hites did not know that Morgan was pregnant, and that they were the ones who called 911 after finding the baby in their house on Grand Vista Way.

Although a final autopsy report has not been released, officials say they are confident that the baby boy was born alive and that he was in the house for a "period of time."

Morgan Hite is custody in Alaska, where she now awaits extradition back to Grand Junction. She faces charges of first degree murder and child abuse resulting in death.

Police officials say it's been a long week, but they're proud of the work and effort put in by their officers.

"What a tragedy and we're sorry to report such news," said Grand Junction Police Chief Bill Gardner. "But we are at least relieved that we do do have the mother in custody and that the criminal and justice procedure for this infant can proceed."

Authorities say Morgan Hite also has a 4-year-old daughter who lives with her in Alaska. They say she was taken by child protective services on Tuesday, and is now in the custody of her biological father.

Police say this isn't the first time Hite has been in trouble with the law. She has an active arrest warrant in Grand Junction for failing to appear in court in a case dealing with check fraud.

Her arrest affadavit is currently sealed by a judge, but is expected to be released Wednesday. Stay tuned to 11 News at 5:30 and nbc11news.com for the latest information on this case.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus