Investigation Continues Into Suspicious Fatal House Fire

Fire and police investigators in Mesa County continue to look into the death of an elderly man, who died as a result of a house fire in Fruitvale Friday. The Fruitvale house is the same residence where just a day before police found a 33–year–old man in the garage suffering from a gunshot wound. The Mesa County Coroner's Office confirms the victim in the fire died of carbon monoxide poisoning, however his identity will not be released until family members are notified. The manner of death is pending the outcome of the fire department's investigation. The fire which happened Friday night at 3050 Walnut Avenue has been deemed suspicious, although arson investigators with the Grand Junction Fire Department have not determined the exact cause. According to the Mesa County Sheriff's Office there has also been no confirmation of any connection between the fire and Thursday's shooting incident as well. The shooting victim, Frederick Cunningham, remains at St. Mary's Hospital suffering from a gunshot wound. He's listed in critical condition.
© KKCO NBC 11 News - All Rights Reserved