Colorado Man Dies of Hantavirus

By: AP Email
By: AP Email


AP_ Weld County Health Officials say a 38-year-old man has died after contracting the Hantavirus carried by Deer Mice.

Officials say the man may have gotten the disease while doing
yard work in May. The man's name wasn't released. He is the second
person in Colorado to die from the virus this year.

The disease is mostly prominent in rural areas and people working in cabins, sheds and barns usually contract it. People get
the disease when they breathe in contaminated dust particles
containing deer mice feces or urine.

Four people in Colorado died from the Hantavirus last year, tying a record for the state set in 1993.

Symptoms start within two to three weeks after exposure and include vomiting, high fever, and flu-like body aches.

In May, a Delta man was hospitalized with Hantavirus. That man is now reportedly at home recovering.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 22535489 - nbc11news.com/a?a=22535489