An early morning fire causes $100,000 worth of damage to a building used by many of Grand Junction's homeless population.
The fire started about midnight in the the Catholic Outreach Day Center at 302 Pitkin Avenue. Just yesterday the day center provided 112 homeless people including 6 children with the basic necessities. But an early morning fire has left the walls riddled with smoke damage and the windows boarded up. For many homeless Grand Junction residents the Outreach Day Center plays a vital role in their daily existence. For most it's the only place for them to take a shower, do a load of laundry or store their clothes while they hunt for a job. Catholic outreach day center director Patricia Boom feels that someone may have intentionally set the fire and the Grand Junction Fire Department is looking into whether the cause is indeed suspicious.
Boom adds that the center will be rebuilt, if not in the fire damaged building then someplace else. If you can help the Outreach Day Center provide laundry service or showers for those who were affected by the fire please contact Catholic Outreach at 241–3658.
Designed by Gray Digital Media