Burn injuries that a Clifton man sustained after a boat engine he was working on exploded, are more serious than originally thought and 11 News has learned he's in critical condition.
Clifton Assistant Fire Chief Greg Martin says the unidentified man, who's in his mid 50s, was flown to a burn center in Denver less than two hours after being taken to St. Mary's Hospital with second and third-degree burns covering 60 to 70 percent of his body.
The fire began around 6:30 p.m. Saturday night in a barn at 3329 D1/2 Rd. The cause of the fire is believed to be the man priming the carburetor of a boat engine with gasoline, when it flashed it ignited the boat and victim as well. The estimated damages sustained in the fire is believed to be around $15,000.