Every year fireworks cause 36 million dollars in fire damage across the United States and thousands of personal injuries. Here are some tips on how to stay safe when using fireworks.
- Use only legal fireworks
- Inspect all fireworks. Never use damaged or leaking fireworks.
- Read and follow all instructions. Never experiment.
- Store fireworks in a cool dry place.
- Light only one item at a time
- Keep spectators at least 10 feet away.
- Do not hold or stand close to lit fireworks.
- Wait a few minutes before going over to a "dud" firework. Do not try to relight it. Drop any duds in a pail of water or soak with water.
- Keep water, or a fire extinguisher on hand.