In it's quest to become more regional, The Museum of the West unveiled new rare artifacts and announced the creation of an Anthropology and Archeology Department.
As a federally designated repository for cultural artifacts many of the museum's collection comes from cite inventories done on public land or completed during energy development. However a pair of rare moccasins were donated by a western slope family. Two pairs of tiny detailed leather shoes were made in 1910 for brothers Frank and Ralph Jones. Frank's pair was donated nearly 30 years ago and his brothers just this month. Both pairs were made by Chipeta.
The focus of the museum's new Anthropology and Archeology Department is to promote historic aspects of the entire region, not just the grand valley. The department will also head the new Heritage Program which invites the public to get involved with the collection and preservation of artifacts. By May 2007 the museum hopes to have it's exhibit area remodeled to include more rare artifacts.