Montrose Family Who Lost Baby to Carbon Monoxide Says Fight Not Over

By: Jessica Zartler Email
By: Jessica Zartler Email

Governor Ritter has signed a bill that will require carbon monoxide detectors in all homes and apartments for sale after july first but a Montrose family says the fight to spread awareness about the dangers of the deadly gas is far from over.

Heather and Kirby Simeons lost their 17–month old son to carbon monoxide poisoning in January of 2008. They say they're relieved the fight to pass the law is finally over.

They fought for the bill after their son Truett and his grandpa, Julian Beamer, died last year.

They say they're happy the bill has been signed into law but more needs to be done to spread awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Mesa County building inspectors say they're still reading the law so they're not sure how the new enforcement will effect their workload just yet.

Heather Simeons tells 11 News with the help of friends and family she's been able to give away hundreds of carbon monoxide detectors in Mesa and Montrose counties and she will continue to do so in Truett's name.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 41788247 - nbc11news.com/a?a=41788247