The fire happened inside of a garage attached to a house where a man who recently retired is trying to start a new business renovating vehicles.
Monday afternoon, the man was repairing the brakes on his son's Volkswagen Beetle. The car was raised on a hoist, but became unbalanced and flipped over on to it's top. The Clifton Fire Department, which responded to the scene, said that the gas tank on the car was loose - causing the vehicle to explode.
The man, Richard Kennedy, tried to put the flames out with fire extinguishers but was unsuccessful. The Clifton Fire Department had the fire out in about five minutes and was able to contain it to the garage. Damage is estimated to be as high as $150,000.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.