Car Repair Project Turns Into Garage Fire

By: Allison Banzhof Email
By: Allison Banzhof Email

The fire happened inside of a garage attached to a house where a man who recently retired is trying to start a new business renovating vehicles.

Monday afternoon, the man was repairing the brakes on his son's Volkswagen Beetle. The car was raised on a hoist, but became unbalanced and flipped over on to it's top. The Clifton Fire Department, which responded to the scene, said that the gas tank on the car was loose - causing the vehicle to explode.

The man, Richard Kennedy, tried to put the flames out with fire extinguishers but was unsuccessful. The Clifton Fire Department had the fire out in about five minutes and was able to contain it to the garage. Damage is estimated to be as high as $150,000.


KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 4950662