In the winter months many of us may find ourselves huddled up next to a space heater to keep warm, but fire officials warn that leaving one on when you're not around is never a good idea because it can start a fire. In fact that's' what caused a fire Wednesday night in an apartment at 540 Hill Avenue.
According to the Grand Junction Fire Department at around 9:30 Wednesday night crews saw heavy smoke coming from the second story of the building. After an investigation officials determined that an unattended space heater is to blame.
Damages to the building and it's contents are estimated at $40,000. No one was injured in the fire.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.