Discarded Cigarette Starts Fire

By: Amanda Wagner Email
By: Amanda Wagner Email

We now know what started the fire Wednesday night in Grand Junction that destroyed three sheds and threatened homes.

According to Mike Page with the Grand Junction Fire Department a gentleman has admitted to smoking a cigarette in the area. Investigators say that discarded cigarette sparked the blaze. Damage to the property in the area is estimated at $10,000. Officials don't know if the man who started the fire will face criminal charges.

Four acres burned in the fire that started just before 9 p.m. in the area of First Street and Patterson Road. Four stations and about twenty firefighters were on scene.

During that call, two other fires were reported in Grand Junction, but since four engines were already on the scene of the fire near 1st Street, the Fruita and Orchard Mesa Fire Departments assisted with the other fires.

In all, the department went out on eighteen calls Wednesday night, four of which were related to fireworks.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 8334897 - nbc11news.com/a?a=8334897
Gray Television, Inc.