Officials believe a cigarette butt thrown from a car may have ignited a fire at the Mesa County Landfill.
The fire broke out just before eleven o'clock Tuesday morning in Orchard Mesa. Flames scorched about an acre of the landfill and it's believed the fire started from a lit cigarette that was tossed from a car window.
It is illegal to throw cigarettes from cars and whoever may have started the fire could face charges and fines. Firefighters say it's also important to remember that dry conditions make actions like this extremely dangerous.
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus