Open burn season is right around the corner, starting September 1, 2007.
Materials you are allowed to burn are dry weeds, garden waste, irrigation ditches, and tree or shrub trimmings less than one inch in diameter.
Requirements for open burning are as follows:
1. The permit holder is responsible for any damage incurred by his/her open burning activity.
2. Burning is permitted within daylight hours which are two hours after sunrise until two hours before sunset.
3. Burning is not permitted except during the spring season and the fall season. For any exceptions, you must call the Mesa County Heath Department at 248-6966.
4. An adult must constantly attend the fire and have their validated Burn Permit Application in their possession.
5. Burning of household trash, scrap lumber, or anything open than dry weeds, garden waste, irrigation ditches, and tree or shrub trimmings less than one inch in diameter is not permitted.
6. Burning of materials that cause a dense smoke or odor, such as tires, lawn clippings, or leaves is not permitted.
7. The following fire safety precautions shall be followed:
-Have a water hose, fire extinguisher, or other appropriate water source available.
-Keep fire a minimum of 50 feet from any structure (including combustible fences)
8. Do not burn when wind could cause the fire to get out of control.