One Hospitalized, Elementary School Closed After Standoff

By  | 

An elementary school is closed and a man is in the hospital after a standoff situation in Grand Junction.

Neighbors got a rude awakening this morning after a reverse 9–1–1 call to tell them their neighbor was in a standoff with police.

The suspect in the standoff, who's name is not being released, was taken to St. Mary's hospital. Police have not released information about his condition.

Emergency crews wheeled the unconscious suspect out on a stretcher after he was pulled out of the home on North 19th street.

The standoff began just before 11:30pm last night.

Police responded to a call of shots fired and when they tried to contact the man inside they say he wouldn't cooperate.

One hour later officers called in the S.W.A.T. team.

After the S.W.A.T. team tried multiple times to call the man on the house phone and his cell phone officers say they fired multiple rounds of tear gas into the home.

A neighbor who lived across the street says he waited with his wife and four kids in their basement until it was over.

The standoff lasted nearly eight hours.

It's unclear how many people were in the home when police got the call
but investigators say there was never a hostage situation.

The people who lived at the house with the suspect are without a place to stay this afternoon.

Investigators say the inside of the home was severely damaged from tear gas.

Victim's Assistance will be helping them with living arrangements.

Police set up a command post at Orchard Avenue Elementary School in the early hours this morning.

School officials and police decided to close orchard avenue for safety reasons.

The spokesman for District 51 schools says Orchard Avenue Elementary will reopen tomorrow. There will not be a make up day for today.

Police say charges against the man are pending a full investigation.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus