GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) The Centers for Disease Control says nearly 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning every year.
As we ease into the cooler months and you dust off those heaters and fire places, it is important to be aware of the danger.
Grand Junction resident, Cheryl Wilson, nearly did not make it home from a trip with her friends. She was a victim of carbon monoxide.
And according to the national library of medicine, she's not alone; carbon monoxide is the leading cause of poisoning in the United States.
"What happens with carbon monoxide is that it totally fogs your ability to reason," says Wilson. "Under normal circumstances you'd say, I'm sick and need some help, you don't think about that."
Symptoms may appear flu-like in addition to dizziness, confusion and a headache.
But fire officials say the best and only way to detect CO, is to use carbon monoxide alarms and monitors.
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus