Trial for Holmes delayed until at least next year

By  | 

UPDATE 12:49 p.m.

CENTENNIAL, Colo. (AP) -- The judge in the case of Colorado shooting suspect James Holmes has delayed the trial until next February and acknowledged even that date might be pushed back.

The trial had been proposed for August.

However, all sides agreed Monday the case will take longer now that prosecutors say they'll seek the death penalty.

Prosecutors want the case wrapped up by spring of next year. But defense attorneys say there's no way that can happen.

Defense attorney Tamara Brady says the lawyers will do whatever it takes to defend Holmes' life and don't want the trial rushed.

Investigators say Holmes methodically stockpiled weapons and ammunition for his assault on a packed midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises."


CENTENNIAL, Colo. (AP) -- Prosecutors want James Holmes executed for last year's attack on an Aurora movie theater.

They announced their intention to seek the death penalty against Holmes in court on Monday.

Last week prosecutors said they rejected an offer from Holmes' attorney to have him plead guilty to avoid the death penalty. Prosecutors said the offer to have Holmes spend life in prison wasn't a serious attempt at plea bargaining.

Holmes is charged with multiple counts of murder and attempted murder for the July 20 assault on a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" that killed 12 people and injured 70. His attorneys are expected to argue that he was legally insane at the time of the shooting.

A judge entered a not guilty plea on Holmes' behalf last month.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus