UPDATE: Gas leak may have led to Westminster explosion

By  | 

WESTMINSTER, Colo. (AP) -- Fire investigators say a natural-gas leak in a laundry room may have led to an explosion at an apartment complex in Westminster that injured six people, including three who were hospitalized.

KMGH-TV in Denver reports (http://bit.ly/110QJab) that about eight minutes before the explosion Sunday morning, a resident had complained to an apartment manager of a gas smell. Jeff Wofford of the Westminster Fire Department says records show management logged the complaint, but they likely didn't have time to check it out before the blast.

The explosion sparked a fire, and the 48-unit building was evacuated.


DENVER (AP) -- Authorities say six people were injured -- one of them critically -- by an explosion at an apartment complex in the Denver suburb of Westminster.

Fire department spokeswoman Diana Wilson says the explosion in the laundry room at the Lakeview Apartments was reported just after 10 a.m. Sunday and a resulting fire was extinguished in about 10 minutes. Three people were hospitalized, and the building was evacuated.

Few other details have been released, including the names of the injured and the cause of the explosion.

Arson investigators were on the scene Sunday afternoon.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus