Chimney fire leaves family in the cold

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) -- Grand Junction residents and their pets are left in the cold last night after their chimney catches on fire.

Grand Junction firefighters were called out to a fire at 618 ½ West Indian Creek Drive around 9:30 Sunday night after reports came in of flames coming from the roof, according to a GJFD spokesperson.

When they arrived, firefighters found heavy fire and smoke coming from the chimney and moving into the second story, so crews removed much of the ceiling to extinguish the flames.

Two people were at home at the time, and they were able to escape with their dog and two cats without injuries.

The fire was contained to the upstairs rooms and roof outside, causing moderate/heavy damage. The cause is still under investigation.

The Red Cross is stepping in to assist those living at that house.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus