Fire at Community Hospital contained quickly

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. A small fire in one of the operating rooms at Community Hospital was quickly contained Monday morning.

Around 6:30 a.m., an autoclave motor sparked a small fire that created a lot of smoke. According to Karen Martsolf, communications director at Community Hospital, the motor is part of a sterilizing instrument.

The Grand Junction Fire Department was able to put out the fire very quickly, and it was contained to the point of origin.

The hospital went into immediate lockdown to ensure the fire would not spread. No patients were in the area at the time of the fire. The GJFD is estimating the initial damage to be around $25,000.


KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 233308301 - nbc11news.com/a?a=233308301
Gray Television, Inc.