Fire sparks near fireplace, threatens house

By  | 

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) – A fire spread outside its fireplace, threatening the home it's in.

The Grand Junction Fire Department responded to a report of smoke at 176 Little Park Drive around 8:30 a.m. on Sunday.

The first unit on scene found light smoke in the home and high temperatures around the fireplace area.

Firefighters cooled down the fireplace and ceiling with water and found that the fire had not spread beyond the chimney area.

Two people and two dogs were inside the house at the time of the fire. They were all able to evacuate without any injuries.

The house was moderately damaged, and firefighters are still investigated the fire because it started behind the fireplace, says Grand Junction Fire.

At this time of year, the GJFD sees more fireplace and chimney fires. Firefighters urge you to maintain, clean and repair your fireplace and chimney to prevent fuel buildup, which can catch fire and spread.

The National Fire Protection Association Standard 211 recommends that chimneys. fireplaces and vents should be inspected at least once a year for damage and deposits.




 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus