Man critical, one dead from carbon monoxide leak

By  | 

One Colorado Springs resident is dead, and another is in critical condition after carbon monoxide leaked into their apartment complex over the weekend.

Several residents of the Vista Peak Apartments on the eastern side of the city reported feeling sick with symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning.

That prompted firefighters to inspect the apartment complex just after noon yesterday.

A hazardous materials team was brought to the scene and the building was evacuated.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning every year.

Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless and can be leak from cars and trucks, stoves, gas ranges and more.

The CDC recommends having your heating system evaluated by a qualified technician every year.

If you smell an odor coming from any appliances in your home, have them checked.

Install a battery operated or battery back-up carbon monoxide detector in your home, and be sure to check or replace the batteries when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.

We'll be moving the clocks back an hour in just four weeks. Don't forget to check your CO detector when you do!