Noxious odor at Colorado junior high sickens 31

By  | 

DURANGO, Colo. (AP) -- Authorities say 31 students were taken to a hospital after suffering from headaches or nausea caused by a noxious odor emanating from beneath a middle school science classroom in southwestern Colorado.

The Durango Herald reports a bus transported 11 students to the hospital, and seven ambulances took the remaining 20 students after the gas leak at Ignacio Junior High School was reported at about 11:30 a.m. Monday.

The students' conditions were not immediately known.

A tank under the classroom that collected sediment from a floor drain and from the drains of several sinks in the room was plugged, causing the smell.

Authorities were uncertain about the mixture of the gas, but no explosive readings were detected.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus