Permits required to sell pets in front of businesses

By  | 

MESA COUNTY, Colo. If you're thinking about buying a furry friend in front of Wal-Mart, Lowes or other businesses around town it's important to make sure the seller has a proper permit.

Mesa County Animal Services is cracking down on people who are selling, trading or giving away pets on business property without a Public Pet Rehoming Permit. The ordinance went into effect last year and officials are taking it seriously.

"We've actually been very vigilant with it we've had a lot of calls from citizens regarding it i think last year we issued 13 citations," Officer Justin Manly, Mesa County Animal Services.

The goal of the permit is to make sure the animals are healthy and age appropriate to be sold.

The process is simple, you need a certificate from a vet saying the pets are in good shape and a letter from the business giving permission to set up there.

Applications are reviewed and usually permits are given out within five days.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus