Fire crews are reminding residents to keep propane tanks outside of the home after one explodes in a house Sunday afternoon.
The Grand Junction Fire Department responded to a house fire at 2368 South San Miguel Drive around 4 p.m.
Crews say the residents were using a portable heater in one of the bedrooms that required a propane tank. It malfunctioned and exploded, causing the room to catch fire.
Three people and a pet were at home at the time of the fire, and were able to escape without injury.
Crews were able to quickly extinguish the flames and contain the fire to just one room. Authorities say it sustained moderate damage, but the residents were expected to be able to stay the night.
After a walk-through of the home, the GJFD says the house did not have carbon monoxide detectors either. It reminds residents these detectors are crucial in homes, especially during the winter months.
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus