Propane tank explodes, causing house fire

By  | 

Fire crews are reminding residents to keep propane tanks outside of the home after one explodes in a house Sunday afternoon.

The Grand Junction Fire Department responded to a house fire at 2368 South San Miguel Drive around 4 p.m.

Crews say the residents were using a portable heater in one of the bedrooms that required a propane tank. It malfunctioned and exploded, causing the room to catch fire.

Three people and a pet were at home at the time of the fire, and were able to escape without injury.

Crews were able to quickly extinguish the flames and contain the fire to just one room. Authorities say it sustained moderate damage, but the residents were expected to be able to stay the night.

After a walk-through of the home, the GJFD says the house did not have carbon monoxide detectors either. It reminds residents these detectors are crucial in homes, especially during the winter months.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus