Update: One of three boys dies from Carbon Monoxide poisoning

CEDAREDGE, Colo. (KKCO) Tragedy strikes a small Western Colo. town. Reid Gates, 17, has died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Two other teens remain hospitalized after the weekend incident.

A Tragic Accident


Delta County Sheriff Fred McKee calls the incident, 'a tragic accident.' In a phone interview with KKCO 11 News on Tuesday morning he said there was no reason to suspect any sort of foul play. McKee told KKCO 11 News the boys were watching a movie in a camper in the garage of one of the boys homes. The sheriff's office investigation showed no malfunction in the generator being used to heat the camper, but a lack of ventilation in the garage caused the build up of Carbon Monoxide.

Aaron Henrie, 17. and Tyler Cooper, 15, are still in the hospital. As of Tuesday morning, Henrie was listed in critical condition and Cooper is in good condition. Both boys are still receiving treatments from the hospital's hyperpabaric medicine center.

Timeline of Events


The initial report came in over the weekend, Kurt Clay of the Delta County School District told KKCO 11 News the students were in a camper and were overcome by carbon monoxide on Saturday. All three boys were taken to Delta Memorial Hospital and then airlifted to St. Luke's Hospital. The children's center of that hospital is called the Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children. All 3 victims were in the Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children, receiving treatment in the hyperbaric oxygen chamber, a machine that increases the oxygen in the tissues of the body.

Monday night, hospital officials confirmed that one of the victims, 17 year old Reid Gates had died. Gates was a superstar in his town. He played football, basketball, and track & field.

Silent Killer


Carbon Monoxide is referred to as the 'silent' killer because it's odorless, tasteless and colorless. When breathed in, the gas can cause brain damage or death. The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include headache, nausea, dizziness, and a feeling of weakness. Symptoms can be similar to that of food poisoning at the onset. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, on average 170 people die every year from CO produced from consumer products such as furnaces, generators and water heaters.

Previous Stories:

9:18 p.m. -- We've received confirmation tonight from the Rocky Mountain Hospital for children that Reid Gates passed away tonight at 6:22 p.m.

He was a star running back for his High School football team, the Cedaredge Bruins.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5:17 p.m. -- The three boys who suffered from Carbon Monoxide poisoning over the weekend have been identified.

Their names are Reid Gates, Aaron Henrie, and Tyler Cooper.

Gates and Henrie are in critical condition, and Cooper is listed in good condition.

They're at the Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children, getting Carbon Monoxide poisoning treatment in the hyperbaric oxygen chamber.

We've received a statement from the families of all three boys, saying, "The tragic accident has left everyone devastated and all of the families are asking for their privacy at this time."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11:07 a.m. -- Three students from Cedaredge High School are being treated for Carbon Monoxide poisoning at Presbyterian-Saint Luke's Medical Center in Denver.

According to Kurt Clay of Delta County School District, the students were in a camper when they were overcome by Carbon Monoxide. All three were transported to Delta Memorial Hospital, and then later airlifted by plane to Saint Luke's Hospital.

The incident was reported around midday on Sunday, September 8.

The severity of their poisoning has not been confirmed at this time.

KKCO 11 News will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 222964701 - nbc11news.com/a?a=222964701