Photo courtesy of 90.7 Rav FM Twitter
UPDATE 7:15 p.m.
EVERETT, Wash. (AP) -- A 78-year-old Washington state man running his third Boston Marathon was near the finish line when he was knocked down by one of two bomb blasts.
Bill Iffrig of Lake Stevens told The Herald that he heard a noise Monday and found himself on the ground. He says that he ended up with a scrape on his knee, and that a race official helped him to his feet.
He was caught in a Boston Globe photograph that quickly went viral.
Iffrig says most of the other runners near the area weren't as close to the explosion as he was. He walked across the finish line and another half-mile to his hotel.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Navy has sent one of its bomb-disposal units to Boston to assist local authorities as needed in the aftermath of the two explosions near the Boston Marathon's finish line. The blasts killed two and injured more than 100.
The three-member explosive ordnance disposal team based at Naval Station Newport, R.I., was sent to Massachusetts after state officials asked for help. Authorities are investigating the bombings and also are checking other bags and packages that may have been left unattended as terrified crowds races away from the chaos Monday.
The Pentagon said no other active duty military personnel had yet been sent to the scene, although state National Guard troops were there. The Defense Department has not raised the threat level across the nation's military installations.
CHICAGO (AP) -- Google is stepping in to help family and friends of Boston Marathon runners find their loved ones after explosions near the finish line.
The site, called Google Person Finder, allows users to enter the name of a person they're looking for or enter information about someone who is there.
Cellphone use has been difficult in the Boston area. A law enforcement official says cell service was shut down to prevent any possible remote detonations of explosives. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing.
Far-flung family members and friends are frantically using social media to check on the safety of runners and spectators after two bombs exploded near the finish line of the marathon, killing two and injuring dozens.
UPDATE 3:25 p.m.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Attorney General Eric Holder has directed the full resources of the Justice Department be deployed to investigate the bombs that exploded at the Boston Marathon.
A department official said Holder has spoken with FBI Director Robert Mueller and with Carmen Ortiz, the U.S. attorney for Massachusetts. The official said Ortiz's office was coordinating the department's response with the FBI and other federal, state and local law enforcement authorities.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because she was not authorized to speak on the record.
Two bombs exploded near the marathon's finish line on Monday, killing two people and injuring many others. A senior U.S. intelligence official said two other explosive devices were found nearby. A third explosion followed at the JFK Library in Boston.
UPDATE 3:01 p.m.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A law enforcement official says cellphone service has been shut down in the Boston area to prevent any potential remote detonations of explosives.
Authorities have not identified what caused the explosives that erupted at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. The official was speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing.
The explosions have killed two people and injured at least 23 others.
UPDATE 2:29 p.m.
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A senior U.S. intelligence official says two more explosive devices have been found near the scene of the Boston marathon where two bombs detonated earlier.
The official said the new devices were being dismantled.
It was not immediately clear what kind of devices had been found Monday. The official said the first two did appear to be bombs.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the findings publicly.
The official said it was not clear what the motive was or who may have launched the attack.
BOSTON (AP) -- Boston police say two people were killed and 23 people were hurt when a pair of bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.
The blasts shattered the end of the race Monday, sending authorities out on the course to carry away the injured while stragglers in the 26.2-mile race were rerouted away from the smoking site.
Bloody spectators were being carried Monday to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners. Police wove through competitors as they ran back toward the course.
"There are a lot of people down," said one man, whose bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina. He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg. A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury that was bleeding.
About three hours after the winners crossed the line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another explosion could be heard a few seconds later.
One woman says she was waiting for her husband to cross the finish line, and, in her words, "it just blew." She described it as "a loud boom, and then glass everywhere." Cherie Falgoust says something hit her head, and she "just ducked."
A runner, Laura McLean of Toronto, says she heard two explosions outside the medical tent. She says, "There are people who are really, really bloody." McLean says, "they were pulling them into the medical tent."
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus