The Associated Press
A man stands with his bicycle as he looks at a pile of damaged cars in Talcahuano, Chile, on Friday. An 8.8-magnitude earthquake struck central Chile on Feb. 27, causing widespread damage.
SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) - Chile's government now says 700 people were killed by last month's magnitude 8.8 earthquake and tsunami. And the ground continues to shake.
Chile's Interior Minister said today that 200 people previously listed as missing are being added to the 500 previously on the casualty list. He also called it the worst catastrophe in economic terms to strike Chile, with damage expected to reach nearly $30 billion. Of that figure, the minister says insurance is covering between $5 billion and $8 billion.
Chile's Public Works Minister estimates it will cost nearly $1.5 billion to rebuild the public infrastructure.
The country has been rocked by a serious of aftershocks since the original quake hit Feb. 27. The latest was a magnitude-6.7 temblor that rocked south-central Chile last night.
(COPYRIGHT 2010 BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.)
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus