Rebel group denies northeast Congo massacre

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) - A Ugandan rebel group accused of slaughtering hundreds of civilians in neighboring Congo is denying it took part in the massacre.

Human rights watch said in a report over the weekend that the Lord's Resistance Army rampaged through at least 10 villages late last year, hacking people to death with machetes. The report said children abducted by the rebels were even forced to execute other children.

LRA Official David Matsanga said Monday that there are no LRA rebels in Congo and blamed the massacres on Ugandan troops. A Ugandan Army spokesman denied that allegation.

The Lord's Resistance Army is considered one of Africa's most brutal rebel armies, and its leaders are the subject of an international criminal court arrest warrant.
(COPYRIGHT 2010 BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.)


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 89413957 - nbc11news.com/a?a=89413957
Gray Television, Inc.