UN chief condemns torpedo attack, expects response

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

UNITED NATIONS (AP) - The U.N. Secretary-General calls the evidence “overwhelming and deeply troubling” that North Korea was responsible for a torpedo attack that killed 46 South Korean sailors.

Ban Ki-Moon told a news conference Monday that he shares in the widespread condemnation of the attack after hearing the evidence laid out by South Korea's international team of investigators.

Ban said he expects “measures appropriate to the gravity of the situation” will be taken by the U.N. Security Council once South Korea brings the matter to the 15-nation council's attention.

The March 26 sinking of the Cheonan in the Yellow Sea off the west coast was one of South Korea's worst military disaster since the 1950-53 Korean War.

A torpedo fired from a North Korean submarine tore the ship in two, an international team of investigators concluded last week.
(COPYRIGHT 2010 BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.)


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 94749489 - nbc11news.com/a?a=94749489
Gray Television, Inc.