Death toll at 32 in Colombia mine blast

By: Associated Press Email
By: Associated Press Email

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) - Colombian rescuers have retrieved the bodies of 32 miners killed in last week's coal mine explosion.

Antioquia State Disaster Coordinator John Rendon says at least 40 workers are still underground. Officials hold out little hope that any are still alive.

Rescuers pulled 13 bodies Sunday from deep inside the 1.2-mile access tunnel at the San Fernando Mine in northwest Colombia. The blast occurred on Wednesday.

Rendon says debris and the persistent buildup of methane and carbon monoxide gases continue to impede rescue efforts.

The exact cause of the explosion is unknown, but the mine's records indicate it lacked a methane ventilation pipe and gas-detection devices.
(COPYRIGHT 2010 BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.)


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 96815739