TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) - A senior Libyan official says he has no knowledge about the fate of an American journalist missing for more than nine weeks.
Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Kaim told reporters Wednesday that he had no information about Matthew VanDyke, a freelance journalist from Baltimore.
The 31-year-old VanDyke last spoke with his family March 12 before saying he was heading to the eastern oil town of Brega.
Last week, the Libyan government released four reporters held since April. The journalists said a photojournalist, Anton Hammerl, was shot and left to die when they were detained.
Libyan officials had maintained they knew nothing about Hammerl, who had South African and Austrian citizenship.
(COPYRIGHT 2011 BY THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.)
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.