Trash Sparks Brush Fire

By: Kieran Wilson Email
By: Kieran Wilson Email

A fire in Whitewater scorched seven acres before officials were able to put it out.

Mesa County Sheriff's Office says debris from a trash fire is what sparked a fire that took officials nearly five hours to extinguish. The fire was at 7100 Kannah Creek Road. Officials say a 17-year-old boy lit the trash on fire before the wind picked up and fanned the flames across seven acres of land.
The house was threatened but not harmed.

Lands End Fire Department was the first responder; Mesa County Sheriff's Office and BLM were brought in to assist. No one was injured.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 19811074