The demolition of Columbine Elementary School is scheduled for today. The demolition was rescheduled after being delayed a week because of problems delays receiving a permit to proceed with tearing the school down.
Columbine was originally built as Grand Junction Junior High School in 1926. The current two-story brick building is located on what was the west edge of the Grand Junction High School Campus.
The building was converted to an elementary school in 1973, when students form the old Emerson and Lowell Schools moved into the refurbished junior high building. It was then renamed Columbine Elementary.
Students who currently attend Columbine Elementary will move next door to Chipeta Elementary in the fall.
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus