Chimney Fire Displaces Family From Home

By: KKCO - Email
By: KKCO - Email

A Redlands family is forced out of their home after an early morning fire causes thousands in damage to their house.

Just after 1:00 Sunday morning, the Grand Junction Fire Department was called out to Columbine Court after receiving reports of a chimney on fire.

Officials say the family inside the home woke up after hearing smoke detectors go off, got out of the house, then called 911.

When firefighters arrived on scene, they say flames and smoke were coming out of the fireplace and into the house. Officials say crews had to break through the walls around the chimney to put the fire out.

They believe the fire started after the structure around the chimney overheated. Damage to the home is estimated at $25,000.

The family has been temporarily relocated and is receiving help from the Red Cross.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 36809539 - nbc11news.com/a?a=36809539
Gray Television, Inc.