Neighbors' Quick Thinking Saves Fruita House

By: Tim Ciesco Email
By: Tim Ciesco Email

Fire officials say the quick thinking of a group of neighbors likely stopped a small house fire from turning into something worse.

Just before 8:00 Sunday night, the Lower Valley Fire Department was called out to Catalpa Court in Fruita on reports that a home was on fire.

Fire officials say the homeowners had dumped ashes from a fire pit into their garbage can, not realizing they were still hot. They say the ashes caught the can on fire, which then spread to a fence and part of the garage.

A neighbor driving by saw the flames, called 911 and got other neighbors to help her fight the fire with hoses and fire extinguishers.

Officials say by the time crews arrived the fire was out, and after 20 minutes of follow, they were able to clear the scene.

"I'm relieved it didn't get further damaged, no one got hurt and no other houses were damaged," said Chrisi Walker, the neighbor who saw the fire.

Fire officials say no one was hurt and there was only minimal damage to the outside of the home.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Lori Location: Grand Junction on Mar 17, 2009 at 12:28 PM
    Kudos to Catherine for being a hero!
  • by Greg Location: Fruita on Mar 16, 2009 at 09:08 AM
    Way to go Christy!!
KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 41297052 - nbc11news.com/a?a=41297052
Gray Television, Inc.