Batman Saves Family From Apartment Fire

By: Chiara Lotierzo Email
By: Chiara Lotierzo Email

Fire officials say a resident’s dog named Batman alerted her to a fire in her apartment after her smoke alarms were not working.

Grand Junction Fire officials say the fire broke out at an apartment in the 2900 block of Dawn Drive around ten o’clock this morning.

When crews arrived, two apartments were already evacuated and smoke could be seen billowing from the second floor.

Only one of the apartments caught fire.

The Fire Department says smoke alarms were not working, but the resident says luckily her dog “Batman” alerted her to the blaze.

The Fire Department says the resident was lighting candles and threw out a match, causing a trashcan to catch fire.

The fire burned one of the bathrooms, and damaged another room.

Damage is estimated at $2,000.

The Red Cross is assisting the residents.

No one was hurt.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 44228107 - nbc11news.com/a?a=44228107
Gray Television, Inc.