Household Dangers for your Dog

By: Joe Gagnon Email
By: Joe Gagnon Email

An artificial sweetener can cause severe liver damage to your pets, especially dogs, who tend to be a little more nosy than cats.
The chemical is called xylitol and it is used in most sugarfree gum, and one local couple almost lost their puppy when it got a mouthful of gum.
Kumar the puggle and his owners, Megan and Joseph Kuta treat him like one of their kids.
Last Saturday, Kumar was not as active and happy–go–lucky he usually is.
"He started getting weak and his paws started going out on him," says Megan after Kumar ate a full pack of sugarfree gum just minutes before. The normally active puppy was very sick and lethargic, and Megan immediately brought the dog to the weekend pet doctor having no idea what was wrong with Kumar.When Megan said they found the empty packs of sugarless gum, bells went off.
Veterinarians warn the commonly used sweetener xylitol, used in some gums, candy and baked goods can cause liver failure in dogs.
Researchers followed eight dogs treated after eating products containing xylitol. They all became ill and five died due to liver failure.
The report finds even a small amount of the sweetner could harm man's best friend and suggests keeping products with xylitol out of reach.
Because of Megan's quick timing to take kumar to the vet as soon as she could, Kumar should be just fine, but this is one ordeal the Kuta's wish they never had to go through.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:
KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 46499542 - nbc11news.com/a?a=46499542
Gray Television, Inc.