Proposed Legislation Would Make Restaurants Count Calories

By: Aaron Luna Email
By: Aaron Luna Email

Proposed federal legislation is hoping to put a new meaning to the words 'watch what you eat.’ If passed the law would require restaurant chains to list nutrition information on your favorite menu items.

When it comes to satisfying those hunger cravings there's usually one rule. "When I eat I just kinda make sure it tastes good," says Chris Whiseant. But soon taste could come with a label.
Restaurant chains with over 20 locations could be required to post calorie content on menu items.

"I say bring it on," says, Jeff Warner with Qdoba Mexican Grill Regional Manager for the Western Slope. Warner says listing calories is something Qdoba does already. "We have nutritional brochures in the restaurant," says Warner.

However, the proposal would mean a change to their menu. Warner says, "It will cost more money to reprint them and that will be a big expense." But Warner say it's worth it. "Sometimes they need to be reminded what they're doing, they can still make that choice of how good or bad they want to be to their bodies," he says.

Being good to your body is what Gold's Gym Director of Fitness Josh McGuire is all about. "70 percent of you progress is nutritional," says McGuire. McGuire says only two percent of dieters are successful.

McGuire says, "One of the things that make that two percent successful is that they take accountability for their calories, so they are able to log their calorie intake." And that' why he thinks the push to list calorie content is a great idea. "It think it would phenomenal," says, McGuire.

But for some it makes little difference either way and the final choice could come down to the consumer who can either count those calories or count them out.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Fred Location: Grand Junction on Jun 19, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    If only 2% succeed, obviously diets don't work. Can you imagine any other "cure" passing the smell test if its success rate was 2%? Also, does McGuire know each and every person in that narrow 2% margin and why they lost weight? Does he know each and every person in the remaining 98% and why they did not lose weight? "Accountability" has nothing to do with it — eating is not a sin or a crime; some people eat a lot and gain no weight; others eat "normally" yet remain fat, even if they work out. Diets, not people fail. And, as stated, diets fail 98% of the time. Also, food diaries promote obsession, not permanent weight loss. I don't care whether restaurants list calories, but I don't see the move leading to a permanently thin population, because weight is as heritable as height (Dr. Jeffrey Friedman)
KKCO NBC 11 News
2531 Blichmann Avenue
Grand Junction, CO 81505

Station Phone: 970.243.1111
Business Fax: 970.243.1770
Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793
News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 48558937 - nbc11news.com/a?a=48558937
Gray Television, Inc.