Keep Fido away from dangerous lawn 'shrooms

By: Chiara Lotierzo Email
By: Chiara Lotierzo Email

The extra rain this spring may have made your grass a little greener but it’s also is helping grow toxic plants.

Wild mushrooms can kill your pets and it’s a problem all pet owners need to know about.

We all know we're not supposed to eat wild mushrooms, but the same goes for your pet.

It's a growing problem that needs to get nipped in the bud, before your dog’s romp at the park turns deadly.

Veterinarian Aimee Johnson is such a dog lover she brings hers to work.

She says although we live in a desert environment, wild mushrooms are still a growing threat here in the Grand Valley.

“You have lawns, you have a lot of irrigation, you have people growing crops, so when you have a lot of wetness, that's what they like to grow in,” she says.

Johnson says pet owners need to be aware that wild mushrooms can be fatal.

Although we can't watch our dogs all the time there are certain symptoms to look for.

“Lethargic, not feeling well, might start to vomit, shaking is one of the most common, tremors and trembling,” are among the things she says to keep an eye out for.

Holly Correro knows all too well the mischief dogs can get into, she has five.

But she says she’s prepared for their antics and is educated on the dangers of wild mushrooms.

“I’ve always picked any mushrooms just because these guys eat anything,” she says.

Johnson says if you suspect your dog has eaten anything toxic, take them to the vet immediately because there's no drug to counteract their effects and time is of the essence.

“If they are coming in and they're already in a seizure mode, there's a very good chance they won't survive,” she says.

Johnson recommends playing it safe and picking whatever mushrooms are in sight.

And Correro says she'll be keeping an eye out for her pups, just in case any pop up.

“I’d be heartbroken. They’re my world, they're my kids,” she says.

While not all wild mushrooms are toxic, Johnson says your safest bet is to play Gardner before botanist and just get rid of any wild mushrooms your dog can sniff out.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 50798327 - nbc11news.com/a?a=50798327
Gray Television, Inc.