A sergeant with the Mesa County Sheriff's office says it was probably the battery in his radar that exploded, setting part of his office on fire.
It happened just before 2:30 a.m. Friday. He says he was sitting in his office when there was an explosion, and a lot of smoke filled the room. A small fire ignited, and the Grand Junction Fire Department was called in.
Fire Department spokesman Mike Paige says the sergeant tried to put the flames out with a fire extinguisher but was unsuccessful
Firefighters got things cleaned up in about an hour. No one was injured in the incident. Officials say damage is estimated at $50,000. About $10,000 in damage was done to the building and about $40,000 in damage was done to the contents of the room.
KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.powered by Disqus