Hot curling iron, faulty outlets to blame for house fire

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. (KKCO) - A hot curling iron and some electrical problems are likely to blame for a fire in Fruitvale Tuesday morning.

Clifton Fire responded to the house at 548 31 Road after some good Samaritans in a passing truck saw flames coming from an upper window and alerted the woman inside.

She escaped unharmed and no one else was home at the time.

Officials say the homeowner had been having problems with electrical outlets in the home and the hot curling iron was left too close to flammable beauty products.

Damage to the house is estimated at $50-60,000.

Officials say you should always unplug small appliances when not in use and to set them somewhere safe until they’re completely cool.


KKCO firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKCO 11News.

powered by Disqus
KKCO NBC 11 News 2531 Blichmann Avenue Grand Junction, CO 81505 Station Phone: 970.243.1111 Business Fax: 970.243.1770 Newsroom Fax: 970.245.3793 News Tip & Contest Line: 970.255.8477
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 64090157 - nbc11news.com/a?a=64090157